The University of Benin recently held its maiden alumni inauguration ceremony on 23 March 2019, with a large number of dignitaries in the pharmacy world and beyond, who graced the occasion. The event also marked the investiture of patrons, Board of Trustees and executives into office to guide the affairs of the alumni.
In his welcome address, the Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy University of Benin, Prof. M.U. Uhumwangho, said that the inauguration ceremony was an epoch-making event, signalling the beginning of a new dawn in the history of the faculty.
He also mentioned that having an alumni association of the faculty cannot be overemphasized in today’s fast paced and digital world, to bring about networking, support and welfare of pharmacists.
The Dean, who also doubled as the host of the event, further stated that the alumni association will provide a platform for concerted and coordinated efforts for members to give back for the continued growth and development of the Faculty of Pharmacy, which would ultimately impact positively on future generations of upcoming pharmacists and the society at large.
The chairman of the occasion, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Benin, Prof. Friday F. Orumwense, who was ably represented by the Deputy Vice- Chancellor (Academics), Prof. M.E. Aziken, appreciated the Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy, for birthing the idea of the inauguration of an alumni association for the faculty and urged the pioneer officials to make a lasting impact.
The Registrar, Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN) Pharm. Elijah Mohammed, who spoke on behalf of the guest speaker, Sir (Pharm.) Paul Enebeli, delivered a paper titled: Alumni Networking: Harnessing its potentials. He observed that the Faculty of Pharmacy, UNIBEN has produced very eminent personalities of high repute and the inauguration of alumni was long overdue.
An alumnus of 1984 set, he stressed that a lot has changed between then and now and that a vibrant alumni association was needed to harness the potentials of pharmacists, both here and in the Diaspora to bridge the gap and move the faculty forward even for future generation of pharmacists.
Also in attendance were the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Ekenwan) Prof. J.O. Abolagba; The Registrar, University of Benin, Mrs O.A. Oshodin ably represented by Mr A.O. Adodo (Deputy Registrar) and the Bursar of University of Benin, Dr V.U. Imagbe ably represented by Mr G.O. Osadolor (Deputy Bursar). The President of UNIBEN National alumni association, Engr Ikenna Obiasor was ably represented by the Vice President South, Chief (Barr) O Ikilo.
The ceremony saw the investiture of five patrons, six members of the Board of Trustees and nine members of executives.
Members of Patrons/Advisers are as follows:
- (Dr.) (Pharm.) Ja’ Belo-Osagie (JP) Chairman (Pioneer set of 1975)
- Magnus Iwagwu (Pioneer set of 1975)
- (Mrs) Isabel Osarieme Macfoy (Pioneer set of 1975)
- Sir (Pharm.) Paul Enebeli (1976 set)
- Elijah Mohammed (1985 set)
Members of the Board of Trustees are as follows:
- Solomon Aigbavboa- Chairman (1990 set)
- David Ehikuemen (1987 set)
- Osakpomwan Uwubamwen (1993 set)
- Chief John Anozie (1994 set)
- Prof Michael Uhumwangho- the Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy (1994 set).
- Maureen Joe (1995 set)
Members of the Executive are as follows:
- President Dr Leo Ugheighele (1987 set)
- Vice President Kingsley Jademi (2002 set)
- Secretary Aghahowa Osahenrumwen (2014 set)
- Assistant Secretary Olung Jacob (2011) set
- Treasurer Mary Ehigiator (2014 set)
- Financial secretary Collins Ovenseri (2010 set)
- Public Relation Officer Francis Odigie (1996 set)
- Provost Iyekekpolor Eseosa Williams (2008 set)
- Administrator Dr Patrick Igbinaduwa (1995 set)
The secretary of the steering committee, Dr Patrick Igbinaduwa gave the vote of thanks and wished the incoming officials a successful tenure. He also announced that an administrative office has been provided at the faculty for the activities of the alumni.