The Nigerian Association of Pharmacists and Pharmaceutical Scientists in the Americas (NAPPSA) has announced the opening of applications for its 2021 scholarship award in support of doctoral Pharmacy or Pharmaceutical Sciences students with exceptional academic performance or financial challenges.
The scholarship, which is a minimum of $2,500 grant will be given to selected recipients at the end of applications collation, the association stated.
In a statement obtained by Pharmanewsonline and signed by NAPPSA Scholarship Committee Chair, Jessica Njoku-Kesene, the group stated categorically the criteria for candidates’ eligibility for the award such as running of full time Pharm.D or graduate programme in the Pharmaceutical Sciences at the United States, academically sound students, must be active student member of NAPPSA and has paid NAPPSA annual dues by the application deadlines.
“The goal of this scholarship is to support doctor of Pharmacy or Pharmaceutical Sciences students, who have demonstrated academic achievement, financial need and strong interest in pursuing future career path in their current disciplines.
“Special consideration will be given to academic achievement, financial need, involvement in NAPPSA and community service”, she explained.
The NAPPSA Scholarship Committee Chair, further hinted on other guidelines for the grant saying it will be given on annual basis and disbursement will be a one-time payment in September at the Annual NAPPSA Conference.
She said winners will be notified by 15 July, 2021 and the in-person award presentation will be made at the September NAPPSA Annual Conference. However, past recipients of the award are not eligible to apply because the scholarship is not renewable.
Other eligibility criteria highlighted for the award are:
- Full-time enrollment in a Pharm.D or graduate programme on Pharmaceutical Sciences at a fully accredited university in the United States.
- Must be a student in good academic standing as defined by the institution.
- Must be an active member of NAPPSA and has paid NAPPSA annual dues by the application deadline.
Documents to be submitted by applicants are:
- An essay of 500 words or less. Applications with essays over 500 words will NOT be accepted.
- Please share your personal story, how this scholarship will financially facilitate your academic career, and why you should be selected (Max 150 words).
- The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted disparities in healthcare management among racial and ethnic minorities.
- Briefly discuss health disparities you have recognised affecting minority patient outcomes.
- What strategies do you recommend to mitigate disparities in our healthcare system?
- What is your interest in NAPPSA, plans for NAPPSA, and the benefits of engaging with NAPPSA organization? (Max 150 words).
Two letters of recommendation from academic references that include their names and contact information (email and telephone). Referees should email letters to email@example.com
Current academic transcript since enrollment into a Pharm.D or Pharmaceutical Sciences Programme. An unofficial transcript is acceptable provided it is printed from the institution’s website or is a copy of the official transcript.
Current and updated curriculum video that details history of education, employment volunteer or community service etc.
The essay, transcript and curriculum vitae must be sent electronically as one pdf document (preferably in that order) to NAPPSA Scholarship Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org