The Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has recently announced the discharge of five more Coronavirus patients from the Infectious Disease Hospital in Lagos. In a post shared on his Instagram page Sunday evening, the governor said a 10-year-old girl is amongst the five patients discharged today.
The governor said he is happy to inform Nigerians that five more patients comprising two males and three females including a 10-year- old girl have tested negative twice consecutively to COVID-19 and have been discharged to reunite with their families, adding that this brings to 29 the total number of patients who have fully recovered and discharged from our facility at Yaba.
He expressed sadness at the news of the 36-year-old man who died of Coronavirus in a private facility in the state on Saturday 4 April.
The governor appealed to Lagos State citizens not to stigmatize those that have been discharged from the hospital, as this act could bring feelings of shame, hopelessness and despair. He added that all they need to do is to support them in whatever form to get over the memories as soon as possible
”It is however sad that the State has recorded another death, bringing to two the total number of deaths from COVID-19 in Lagos State. I need to reiterate that the result of tests conducted by our health workers on the recovered patients is a confirmation that they pose no threat to the community,” he said.
He also thanked the frontline health workers who are taking good care of the patients, and members of the Lagos State Health family and the Emergency Operation Centre for their kindness and flexibility in managing the patients and checking the spread of the disease.
He appealed to residents of the state to continue practicing social distancing and taking all precautionary measures as the state continues its battle against the ravaging viral disease.
”Let us remain indoors and shun the temptation to breach the presidential restriction that has been placed on our state so that the gains recorded so far are not eroded.
It has come to our notice that some of our youths still engage in sporting, socializing, and other related activities, this is very unfortunate. This act could jeopardize our efforts and the laudable intention of the lockdown. I therefore advise you to adhere strictly to our instructions so that together we can win the battle,” he advised.