Lolu Ojo Laments Nigeria’s Absence On Global Pharmaceutical Map


In what may appear shocking to many, an expert has declared that the name Nigeria does not exist on the world pharmaceutical map.

Speaking at the maiden edition of the annual pharmacoposium, an intellectual summit of pharmacy across the federation, put together by the national body of Pharmaceutical Association of Nigerian Students (PANS) at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife on April 11, Dr Lolu Ojo, former chairman, Association of Industrial Pharmacists of Nigeria (NAIP) noted that despite its huge potential demand base, the country’s impact in the Pharmaceutical sector is yet to be felt on the global stage.

L-R: Pharm (Dr) Sam Olawoye, managing director of Sam Ace Pharma; Dr Lolu Ojo, keynote speaker and Sir Ifeanyi Atueyi, managaing director of Pharmanews Limited at the event

“As at today, 80 per cent of medicines consumed are imported while the remaining 20 per cent are produced locally. Our local industries are being under-utilised. Imagine the impact we could make if we unanimously agree to patronise the likes of Emzor, SKG and Mopson!” he remarked.

UNIBEN ADMAP Takes Anti-Malaria Campaign To Ekiadolor Community

Ojo emphasised that the reason why Sir Ifeanyi Atueyi, managaing director of Pharmanews Limited (in whose honour the Pharmacoposium was held) is celebrated today was because of his revolutionary idea.

“If you have an idea, don’t let it go. It has the potential to change the dynamics of the world. As a former PANS president myself, I remember inviting Sir Atueyi as keynote speaker to our event at this same Ile-Ife in 1984.

“Though he seemed not to remember now, that further highlights how great he is. I thank PANS for choosing to honour him with this event and for choosing me as the keynote speaker,” he enthused.

Engage Govt for Compulsory Employment of Pharmacists, Omehia Charges PSN

While harping on the theme “Quantum Shift In Pharmacy & Resulting Opportunities: The Place of the Media”, the keynote speaker stressed that pharmacy practice has moved from the era of pharmacists operating behind a small space to getting fully involved in patient care.

L-R: Pharm (Dr) Sam Olawoye, managing director of Sam Ace Pharma presenting PANS award of excellence to Dr Lolu Ojo, keynote speaker while Alo Setofunmi, national president, Pharmaceutical Association of Nigerian Students (PANS) looks on

“Just as the United States politics experienced a quantum shift with a change of government that many of us didn’t expect, pharmacy practice has equally experienced such quantum leap.

“Who could have predicted that a pharmacist can rose to become vice chancellor of a prestigious institution like OAU as we have in the case of Prof. (Anthony) Elujoba? The way we see and do things now has changed. That is the quantum leap we are talking about,” he said.

General Manager needed at Pharmanews Limited






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here