Did you know that three quarter of deaths due to heart diseases take place in low- and -middle income countries, including Nigeria?
Disorders of the heart also known as Cardiovascular-diseases (CVDs) include any abnormality, or failure to function well, relating to the heart and blood vessels or the circulation. Heart disorders have been found to be the leading cause of death worldwide over the past decade. In 2013, heart diseases caused an estimated 17.3 million deaths and led to 330 million disability-adjusted life years lost.
As with many high-income countries during the past century, low-and middle-income countries, including Nigeria, are now-especially over the past two decades-experiencing an accelerating increase in heart disease. The forms of heart disorders of interest include hypertension, coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, hypertensive heart diseases, arrhythmias, heart failure, cardiomyopathies, valvular heart diseases, and congenital heart diseases.
Food for thought:
Up to 42% of Nigerian adults suffer from Hypertension.
Did you know that over 108,000 Nigerians die yearly from coronary heart diseases?
Heart Disease is a major health concern in Nigeria.
Call to Action!
Clinicians and other members of the healthcare team have to properly educate their patients on the importance of preventing the occurrence as well as managing heart related conditions through:
- Early diagnosis and Monitoring through the use of Home Blood Pressure monitors,
- Adherence and compliance to medications.
Early diagnosis and monitoring with the use of Home Blood Pressure monitors helps:
- Determine and track blood pressure numbers as well as monitor the activity of the heart (i.e., heart rhythm).
- Determine the effectiveness of the medication(s)
- Compliments the physician readings and further complete investigations-Take readings at Home along with the Physicians readings as peoples Blood pressure is often higher in the Doctor’s office and it’s important to obtain readings at different times of the day and report that to your doctor.
The Device to take to Heart!
A&D blood pressure monitors possess all the features of an ideal and world class digital devices to help accurately detect, track and monitor the rhythm of the heart. It possesses the latest technology known as the Afib-technology used to monitor a heart disorder known as Atrial Fibrillation which is a heart condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate.
This results in a person being:
- 4-5 times more likely to have a stroke
- 3 times more likely to have heart failure
- 2 times more likely to have dementia!
Check for Atrial Fibrillation with an A&D Blood pressure monitor today!
Benefits of the A&D B.P Monitors:
- Accuracy & Precision
- Clinically validated
- Advanced technology/Ease to use
- Quality assured manufacturing
- Japanese quality.
Finally, through healthy lifestyles, adherence to medications, Self-Monitoring & Early Detection with the use of A&D blood pressure monitors, the scaring picture can be changed.
- The Global Burden of Disease: 2013 Update. Available from: http://ghdx.healthdata.org/gbd-data-tool; 2016. [Last accessed on 2019 Dec 30].
- Boon NA, Fox KA, Bloomfield P, Bradbury A. Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine. 19th ed. Edinburgh, London, New York, Oxford, Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2002. Back to cited text no. 1