Lagos Records 3 New Suspected Coronavirus Cases, Patients in Isolation- Abayomi

3
170
Lagos Records 3 New Suspected Coronavirus Cases, Patients in Isolation- Abayomi
Professor Akin Abayomi

– Ex-Iranian minister dies of Coronavirus

The Lagos State Commissioner of Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, has recently announced three new suspected cases of Coronavirus have been recorded in the state.

As shared on twitter, the commissioner revealed that the patients have been separated in the containment facility located in Yaba area of Lagos.

According to him, “the patients are from England, China and France. He added that the three were quarantined after being subjected to the Coronavirus test, the results of which are being expected”.  He gave no further details about the patients.

Pharmanewsonline reported the first Coronavirus patient last week, when an Italian national tested positive to the infection.

Since its outbreak, the Nigerian government has been making efforts to curtail the possible spread of the virus as most people that had contact with the affected patient were identified and quarantined.

READ
Why Faculties of Pharmacy Should be Changed to Colleges of Pharmacy – PANS-UNIJOS President

The Lagos government completed an isolation facility in readiness for the treatment of the virus, in case more cases were recorded.

Meanwhile, the commissioner said one of the suspected patients is a Nigerian who visited France for seven days and returned to Lagos days ago. Mr Abayomi said the patient had headache and respiratory symptoms.

“So, because he had been to a country where there is an active person to person transmission, it could be a common cold, but there is a possibly that it could be Coronavirus.

“We are not taking chances, there is active transmission going on in France and we have isolated him,” the commissioner said.

READ
AIDS: Treatment of 1.5m Patients Key to Sustaining Control of HIV Annually — NACA

He added that the patients are being tested and they await the result.

The outbreak of the disease in Italy gets worse by the day as a former Iranian deputy foreign minister Hussein Sheikholeslam died after contracting the Covid-19 virus.

The 67-year old diplomat died early Friday morning in a hospital in Iran’s capital city Tehran, Tasnim news agency reported.

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif described him in a press release as a friend and always fair-minded diplomat.

Sheikholeslam was deputy foreign minister throughout the 1980s and then had roles as Iran’s ambassador to Syria, a member of parliament and was most recently a foreign policy advisor to the Speaker of Parliament Ali Larijani.

READ
Lagos ALPs Holds 2016 Forum, Celebrates Veterans in Style

In Iran more than 3,500 people have been infected with Coronavirus and 107 have died.

Meanwhile, globally, according to the World Health Organisation, WHO, the virus has infected over 95,000 people and killed 3,000 persons since an outbreak was first recorded in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.

There is no known cure or vaccine for the virus but health advisories state that people should carry out steps to prevent infection and keep safe. These steps include wash of hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water regularly and maintaining at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

 

 

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here