Health is wealth. We all know this. However, health is more than wealth; it is the foundation of a good life. Enjoying good health can lead to a successful, peaceful and joyful life. Below are 10 tips that will help you to enjoy optimum health and wellbeing.
1. Periodic health screening: Make it a duty to regularly check your blood pressure, blood sugar level and body mass index (your weight in proportion to your health). Have scheduled laboratory tests to know your health status. Periodic health screening can help you detect any illness quickly and save you from a lot of emotional and practical pains.
2. Proper diet: Eat well, eat right. You are what you eat. Your diet contributes so much to the state of your health. Eat food rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and fibre but stay away from high starchy foods and unsaturated vegetable oil. Always make sure you drink clean water and stay hydrated. Eating the right proportion of food at the right time, filled with needed nutrients for your body, will help you to stay healthy and avoid obesity.
3. Adequate exercise: Live an active lifestyle and avoid staying at one place for a long time without any movement. Create time regularly to take a walk, swim or cycle. Physical activities give your energy, boost your immune system, and help you to sleep better. It improves your life expectancy and quality of life. Design activities that will help you to become fitter and stronger into your daily life.
4. Healthy weight: Manage your weight effectively. Overweight can lead to obesity, which can predispose people you to high blood pressure, high cholesterol in the body, diabetes and other health conditions. Proper diet and exercise will help you to stay fit and avoid obesity. Make sure you monitor your body mass index on a regular basis.
5. Controlled alcohol intake: Alcohol intake affects major organs of the body. Therefore, heavy drinking of alcohol can predispose your body to various health conditions including organ failure. Be disciplined; stay away from alcohol. But if you must consume alcohol, drink it responsibly.
6. Avoid smoking: As the manufacturers warn, smokers are liable to die young due to various damages smoking does to the body and mind. Stay away from smoking. And if you presently smoke, work hard to quit this habit. Smoking can lead to various health conditions and it can also shorten lifespan. Be disciplined.
7. Sleep well: Make it a habit to have a restful sleep every night. Rest and sleep rejuvenate your body and mind. Having up to seven hours nightly sleep will help your body and mind function optimally. Don’t joke with your sleep. Also strive to take afternoon nap to rejuvenate you during the day.
8. Manage stress: Take life easy and be proactive in regulating your emotions. Distress is not good for your optimum wellbeing and health. Create time to relax, have fun, and do what makes you happy. Surround yourself with positive influences, connect with your loved ones and stay happy. Work at your workplace. Relax when you at home. Don’t overburden yourself to the extent of burnout. Be smart.
9. Befriend a doctor: Make sure you have a good relationship with a doctor or a pharmacist that you can easily ask questions and receive professional advice from concerning your health and medicines. Do not engage in self-medication. Always reach out to your doctor or pharmacist for professional advice.
10. Positive thinking: Always focus your thoughts on your blessings and good aspects of life. Count your blessings each and be grateful for them. Think positively about your future. Strive to have pleasant thoughts. Remember as a man thinks in his heart, so he is. Pleasant thoughts lead to a pleasant life.
Life is in stages. However, for every stage we are, we must take good care of our health to enjoy life to the fullest. Applying the above tips will help you to achieve a healthy lifestyle and enjoy all the benefits that come with it.
ACTION PLAN: Turn the above health tips into daily practice. Develop the habit of sleeping adequately, exercising regularly, creating positive thoughts and staying away from smoking and alcohol consumption.
AFFIRMATION: I am a health conscious person. I am blessed and highly favoured.
Sesan Kareem serves as Regional Manager at Pharmaplus, www.pharmaplus.com.ng, and the Principal Consultant at Sesan Kareem Institute, www.sesankareem.com.ng.