The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) is calling pharmacists to apply for the Pfizer Excellence Service Award 2021, as submission of applications ends on 17 September.
The award is designed for hospital pharmacists with exemplary ethical practice setting, mentorship, chain practice setting and notable contribution to the objectives of the society.
Speaking on behalf of the Pfizer Excellence Award Committee, the Secretary, Pharm. Ngozi Okoronkwo, in a document made available to Pharmanewsonline said the committee will pay special attention to individuals who have been innovative in their practice of pharmacy.
She said:” I write on behalf of the Pfizer Excellence Service Award Committee 2021, inaugurated by the President of PSN to ask you to forward your name or the name and CV of a pharmacist you believe should be recipient of this award”.
The secretary noted that interested/eligible PSN financial members are encouraged to apply, while they can also nominate eligible candidates.
To be considered for the award, she stressed that eligible pharmacists must demonstrate achievements in developing and delivering high-quality pharmaceutical care and commitment to the continuous improvement of the hospital pharmacy profession.
She stated that PSN recognises individuals who demonstrate a high level of achievement above that which might be expected in some or all of the following ways:
- Demonstrating sustained commitment to patient pharmaceutical care and wellbeing, or improving public health.
- Sustaining high standards of both technical and clinical aspects of service while providing patient focused care.
- Making an outstanding contribution to professional leadership
- Demonstrating a sustained commitment to the values and goals of PSN in their day-to-day practice, by participating actively in PSN, observing the Code of Conduct and showing a commitment to achieving agreed PSN objectives.
- Contribute to continuous improvement in professional service and delivery through active participation in clinical governance.
- Embracing the principles of evidence-based practice.
- Contributing to knowledge base through research and participate actively in research governance.
- Recognition as excellent teachers and/or trainers and/or managers
- Contributing to policy making and planning in pharmacy and healthcare.
She also noted that pharmacists are invited to provide evidence about their performance in five domains enabling them to demonstrate that they:
- Deliver pharmaceutical care which are safe, have measurably effective outcomes and provide a good experience for patients
- Have significantly improved quality of care and the clinical effectiveness of your pharmaceutical care or related clinical service.
- Have made an outstanding leadership contribution, including within the profession
- Have made innovations or contributed to research, or the evidence/ evaluative base for quality.
- Have delivered high quality teaching and training which may include the introduction of innovative ideas.
She also advised applicants to send a statement (not exceeding two A-4 pages) explaining how they meet the selection criteria for this award; their curriculum vitae; supporting documents to prove their claims and 2 letters of referee (one should be from a current or past reporting manager).
While applications and scanned copies of relevant documents can be emailed to email@example.com with the heading: “Names-Pfizer Excellence Service Award, she added that applicants may be required to appear before the award selection committee to clarify some of